YES! This email “Set your data use consent preferences” is legitimate and comes from your domain name provider.
It’s a contractual requirement for the registry to hold this information; however, you do not have to agree to give permission for the top-level registrant (in this case Agate Fire Creative LLC) to share this information.
Why am I receiving this ‘Set your data use consent preferences’ email?
With the 2018 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) coming into effect a few changes have been made by registrars when it comes to requesting, storing and using the personal data of their registrants. Although GDPR is a regulation designed to protect EU residents, registrars have to comply regardless of where their customers are based.
Therefore, in order to remain in compliance with the GDPR, the email requests that you set your data use consent preferences. The email will look like this:
Upon clicking the “Set your data use consent preferences” link in the email you will be taken to your “Data Use Consent Settings” page. This will look similar to the image below:
How Agate Fire Creative LLC uses your personal data
Agate Fire Creative LLC uses your personal data only when there is a legal basis to do so. This could be because:
- The data is necessary in order to fulfill our service contract with you
- The data is contractually required by the registry or service provider
- You have consented to additional data use beyond the minimum required by contract
- There is a legitimate interest pursued by Agate Fire Creative LLC or a third party.
Agate Fire Creative LLC will process and store your contractually-required data on our secure platform while the domain is registered with us and for two years following the termination of services. Any additional data for which you have provided consent to process will remain on file for the same period by default, or you can request its removal at any time by withdrawing consent.
Purposes for data processing
The data we process is used for the following purposes:
- To provide client support either to you or to your domain service provider;
- To share with registry operators that require the data in order to provide the requested service;
- To list domain contact details in our Tiered Access registration directory service (“gated Whois”);
- To escrow data to a reputable escrow agent mutually approved by Agate Fire Creative LLC and ICANN
If a Whois privacy protection service has been enabled for your domain(s), we will not display your personal data in our Tiered Access registration directory or share your personal data with the provider/registry operator for that domain name. Instead, privacy service masking information will be used as long as privacy is enabled for your domain.
If you like further information on how your data is used, please visit the Data Use Information Page link on your personalized settings page. Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact us with your questions or concerns.